Tuesday, June 25, 2019
20 Big Trucks in the Middle of the Street by Mark Lee
Groovy Joe: Ice Cream & Dinosaurs by Eric Litwin *
Ice Cream Soup by Ann Ingalls *
The Little Ice Cream Truck by Margery Cuyler
Should I Share My Ice Cream? by Mo Willems
Craft: Ice Cream Popsicle
The kids colored a popsicle cutout before gluing to a jumbo craft stick. They could also glue on sequins as sprinkles.
- Ask your child to list various ice cream flavors. Then have them take a poll to see which flavor is the most popular.
- Make some homemade ice cream. If you don't have an ice cream maker, there are some simple recipes and directions for making ice cream in your freezer online.
Tuesday, June 18, 2019
Archie and the Bear by Zanni Louise
The Birthday Box by Leslie Patracelli
For Just One Day by Laura Leuck *
I'm a Frog! by Mo Willems *
I'm Bored by Michael Ian Black *
On My Way to the Bath by Sarah Maizes
Craft: Frog on Lilypad
This week's craft was based on the picture at left. The children colored a paper plate as a lilypad and a flower to glue onto the plate. They also colored a frog cutout. The frog was attached to the plate by a piece of accordian-folded paper to the frog will "hop".
- Engage in some pretend play. Ask you child to act as various types of animals.
- Pick an animal to learn more about. There are great informational books for kids at the library to learn about animals.
Tuesday, June 11, 2019
Baby Danced the Polka by Karen Beaumont *
Cat Nap by Toni Yuly
I Will Take a Nap! by Mo Willems *
The Napping House by Audrey Wood
Naptastropohe! by Jarrett J. Krosoczka *
Craft: Elephant Door Hanger
The kids colored a doorhanger of Elephant dreaming. They could also glue on sparkles if they liked.
- Create a napping nook for the summer. Make a sheet fort or use a small pop-up tent in a corner of the house. Add some comfy pillows and blankets.
- At breakfast, ask your child to share the dreams they had at night.
Tuesday, June 4, 2019
Are You Ready to Play Outside? by Mo Willems *
Not a Stick by Antoinette Portis
The Nuts: Bedtime at the Nut House by Eric Litwin *
Peek-A-Boo Bunny by Holly Surplice *
Please Play Safe! Penguin's Guide to Playground Safety by Margery Cuyler
Craft: Elephant & Piggie Rainsock
Children colored a half sheet with Elephant on it and Piggie cutout. They glued the half sheet into a cylinder and glued 3 crepe paper strips to the bottom to make a windsock. Cutout raindrops and Piggie were glued to the crepe paper.
- Take a trip to a local playground. Go over playground safety beforehand (maybe by reading Please Play Safe).
- Not a Stick imagines all the different things you can imagine a stick to be. Stretch imaginations by asking your child to come up with different things an object (i.e. - box, rock, ball, etc.) can be.
Tuesday, May 28, 2019
Are You a Horse? by Andy Rash *
Clip-Clop by Nicola Smee
Do You Believe in Unicorns? by Bethanie Deeney Murguia *
A Horse Named Steve by Kelly Collier
Noni the Pony by Alison Lester *
Craft: H = Horse
The children were given a lower case "h" cutout. The neck of the "h" was folded near the top to make the horse's head. The horse was then colored. Brown raffia strips were glued on for the mane and the tail. A small triangle was glued to the head as either the horse's ear or a unicorn's horn.
- Before reading the books, ask your child to describe a horse. Ask them for different characteristics and how you would tell a horse from other animals.
- This week's craft is made from the letter "H" as that is what horse starts with. Ask your child to find the "H"s in the book as you are reading.